A fantastic opportunity to join an established and growing company located in the centre of Birmingham with a strong reputation in the automotive and test industry. The client is looking for a Software Engineer to complement a team developing our own product range as well as developing specific solutions for the customers of our design services. This ranges from server based OLTP / B2B manufacturing systems all the way down to embedded electrical and IOT applications.
Key roles and responsibilities
- The role will involve all phases of a project life cycle from estimation and requirements support, through to specification, design and validation to documentation, signoff, training and support.
- Development, configuration and the creation of deployable packages under Windows environments and ARM/PIC embedded platforms.
- Software design and development with the following languages VB.Net / C# / VB, PHP, C / C++ and T-SQL.
- Using and understanding the following communications technologies: TCP/IP, HTTP, JSON, OPC, RS-232, USB, CAN, I2C, SPI, MS-SQL.
- Researching, Interfacing and developing API’s for components and peripherals using the above technologies.
Qualification and education
- Electronic / Software / Control Systems based Degree / HND
- Time served and relevant experience will also be taken into consideration
- 2 years in an engineering development role where robustness and up-time were paramount due to the demands of a production environment.
- C/C++ Experience in PIC or ARM environments and the development of embedded control systems.
- Net / C# / VB, development creating Database or comms based service & client software and front ends.
- Networking / low level TCP Comms using Sockets or SOAP / JSON / XML or HTTP.
- MS SQL Server Schema Design, TSQL development, DB management and admin
- Board knowledge of PHP / IIS web server development and configuration
- Interfacing with factory systems (ERP / Build Control / MES solutions or SCADA / PLCs)
- Systems analysis and design, being able to create or update good quality specifications and documents
- Ability to overcome problems as they arise, as well as self-discipline, motivation, and quick thinking
- Time keeping on projects and the ability to organise your projects is important
Technologies: Understanding the following
- Electronics and electrical systems, components and technologies
- Familiarity and empathy with Mechanical systems
- An interest in current automotive technologies and systems
- Manufacturing assembly, logistics and automation technologies
- Attention to detail and passionate about your work
- A healthy interest in the automotive industry or industrial electronics
- Good personal presentation and communication
- Willing to work at the client site and the occasional need to travel away
- Full Driving license and own car