Principal Engineer – Hybrid Powertrain Strategy & Simulation
On behalf of a West Midlands based OEM, we are currently recruiting for a Senior/Principal Engineer – Hybrid Powertrain Strategy and Simulation. This is an exciting career opportunity to work within a world leading Powertrain R&D Centre. The candidate will be hired to provide understanding and analysis of hybrid powertrain technologies to inform our client’s future powertrain strategy
- An excellent understanding of the physics related to energy conversion and transfer in hybrid powertrains
- Able to rationalise and articulate the benefits and drawbacks of various hybrid systems whilst considering the impact of other influencing factors such as engine technology, driving cycle and market preferences
- Knowledge and understanding of current and future hybrid powertrain technologies – primarily associated with performance and efficiency
- Familiar with powertrain and vehicle development processes including requirements of legislative and other standardised test procedures
- Experience in the simulation of hybrid vehicle performance and efficiency – using an appropriate toolset (e.g. GT SUITE, SimScape, AVL CRUISE)
- Ability to work with colleagues to justify and develop relevant sub-system models to enhance simulation functionality as required
- Knowledge of hybrid powertrain control strategies and simulation thereof
- Certain years of powertrain R&D related experience gained from working in an automotive OEM, consultancy and/or the supplier base
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Refine our client’s existing group hybrid strategy through strategic analysis and simulation to identify and justify the appropriate direction and technologies
- Conduct research into electrified powertrain technologies and report as required to the wider UK and headquarter teams
- Carry out research into governmental regulations and consider their impact on the future powertrain strategy
- Collaborate with Engine, Transmission and Powertrain Control departments to facilitate knowledge sharing, understanding and to drive a coordinated strategy
- Develop, maintain and utilise simulation models as needed to support understanding and sensitivity of technology benefits
Other Features of job
- Primary location will be at Birmingham.
- Travel may be required depending on project requirements.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.